Veteran/Military Student Checklist

This is a helpful summary of the steps you need to take to become a student at GV with military/veterans benefits. You can download the checklist in easily printable form from the link below.

  • Apply to Grand View University
  • Get your transcripts. The VA requires Grand View University to evaluate and report all transfer college credit.
  • In addition, veterans might receive college credit for military experience. If you were in the Army, Navy or Marines you can request a Joint Services Transcript (JST) https:///jst.doded.mil/official.html  If you were in the Air Force, you can request an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force http://www.au.af.mil/au/ccaf/transcripts.asp. Transcripts should be obtained from the specific military branch and mailed to Office of Admissions, Grand View University, 1200 Grandview Avenue, Des Moines, IA 50316.
  • Apply for benefits. Determine the right type of education benefit at www.gibill.va.gov. Click on Apply For Benefits and submit the electronic application. Print a copy to share with the Veterans Recruitment and Services office.
  • Fill out the veterans worksheet HERE. Submit this worksheet, along with a printout of the VA application and a certified copy of the DD214, to the Military Certifying Official.  Reserve members should submit NOBE and Kicker contract, if applicable.
  • Complete the FAFSA. Free Application for Federal Student Aid at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
  • Apply for tuition assistance. Federal tuition assistance is offered to qualifying service members through each separate military branch. In addition, the Iowa National Guard offers tuition assistance for qualifying soldiers and airmen. More information at www.military.com/education or www.iowanationalguard.com/education.
  • Apply for scholarships and grants. There are many opportunities for scholarships, grants, loans, and a variety of other financial aid resources to help offset student expenses. Click HERE for more information.

Download the printable checklist HERE.


IE8 Alert

This site is not compatible in Internet Explorer 8. Please use Firefox or Chrome for a better experience.